Half Day Tour: Coastal New Orleans Wetlands, Wildlife, and Cultural Wonders
Enjoy a fresh and immersive, insider’s look at how the Mississippi River has shaped one of the most beautiful, rich, diverse and important wetlands ecosystems, history, cultures and ways of life in the world. Learn how New Orleans was founded, survived and flourished moving from a backwater swamp to a great American City.
The morning’s excursion will follow the former path of The Great Mississippi River whose rich alluvial soil has built in south Louisiana the largest wetlands in the continental US. Enjoy the company of brown pelicans, blue herons and alligators in their natural habitat. Enjoy stunning architecture and artistic expression shaped by the natural environment and diverse cultures of this rich delta. Learn how storms and floods have shaped the region; understand the challenges and innovations in coastal restoration and environmental management that will ensure the region’s future.
Tour highlights include:
- Travel through the site of the original French colonial city, La Nouvelle Orleans, and learn of its natural history, architecture and cultural influences
- Follow the development of the city along its “high ridges” to City Park, where nature and the arts intersect in creative and sustainable ways in one of the finest outdoor sculpture gardens in the country
- Visit where the levees broke and understand why and what is being done to ensure a safer, more resilient coastal community.
- Step back in time at the New Orleans Lakefront Airport, built in the 1930’s as the most modern and largest airport in America and one of finest examples of Art Deco architecture
- Enjoy Bayou Bienvenue nature overlook and trail in the lower 9th Ward that captures the beauty and devastation of coastal wetlands and communities in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, while also showcasing innovations in coastal restoration and green infrastructure to ensure sustainable neighborhoods.
Time: 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
What to Bring: Camera, Hat, Sunscreen, Disposable Water Bottle
We will provide: Water
Meeting Location: Curbside Sheraton New Orleans, 500 Canal Street